Salt Life

Salt Life

Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Three R's: Refreshed, Renewed, Retired!




I could get used to this retirement scene, now already four weeks into what we all dream of throughout our working lives and honestly report that I have managed to accomplish a few realistic goals I assigned myself, having absolutely no experience with what this new journey would entail.  Number one goal (to not set the alarm for 6 a.m.) was the easiest to attain.  Of course, my body’s clock fought my perceived ideal wake up time of closer to 8 a.m., but I eventually won the battle.  I love slowly waking up with the sunrise, sea gulls chatting, gulf breezes gently stirring the bedroom curtains and my sweet sleeping husband, taking time to consider plans for the day before my feet hit the floor (coffee on the deck?, a walk around the neighborhood?, surprise Marty with breakfast?, work on my blog?).  
                                                                                                
Another goal of cleaning and preparing our guest bedroom for any anticipated company was successful after months of its only utility being storing holiday decorations.  I am reading, writing and coloring more, stressing less and even occasionally napping mid afternoon. 

When employed “9 to 5” for multiple (45+) years, it’s a big deal to one day, in the middle of the week (on a Wednesday, for goodness’ sake!), decide to put together a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce, an enjoyable task that up until now had only been reserved for the weekends.   Baking Marty’s favorite (from-scratch) oatmeal-raisin cookies on a recent Monday morning trumps transcribing medical records any day!  You might even spot us at our local Denny’s mid morning/mid week for a veggie omelet and coffee.

Though our dreams of my retirement always included impromptu sunset cruises in our deck boat, afternoons of fishing and/or lounging in the pool, the timing for such seasonal activities is not quite optimal with a cool and rainy spring season currently spoiling our relaxing outdoors.  But, there is no doubt that with the guaranteed arrival of Florida’s Nature Coast summer temperatures, enjoying our waterfront paradise is our eventual priority! 

Beyond the limitations the weather is creating, the struggles of dealing with obstacles in health maintenance continue.  Why can’t we retire at 32 as opposed to 62, at our most healthy selves?  Though we refuse to allow minor fitness matters to diminish our activity levels, our physical abilities don’t always match our mind’s desires.  For example, Marty wishes for us to visit and climb the Dunn’s River Falls in Ocho Rios, Jamaica in the near future (again), but my reality leans toward happily remembering the one and only time I accomplished this feat!

Kick-starting my goal of pursuing writing is slow-going as well, though I have had two paid stints with an on-line magazine since retiring.  The details and outlining of a specific young adult nonfiction story continue to engage my mind during the days and sometimes arouse me from sleep.  With encouragement from friends and multiple resources for education regarding the writers’ process, confidence and motivation to get started are all I require. 

Thankfully, retirement is far from humdrum.  “What ever will I do?” has become “what necessary, yet relaxing, project may I complete today that I failed to accomplish while working?”  Yep, there are absolutely no regrets regarding this decision!








No comments:

Post a Comment